Thursday, July 30, 2009

Perspective on Pittsburgh Sports

I am 20 years old, meaning I was born in the year 1989. In my lifetime, the Pirates have had 16, soon to be 17, consecutive losing seasons. They also had a losing season in '89. They won more games than they lost in the years 1990, 1991 and 1992.

In my lifetime, the Penguins have won 3 Stanley Cups (91, 92, 09).

In my lifetime, the Steelers have won 2 Super Bowl Championships (06, 09).

Each of those franchises has also lost one Championship (Pens in 08, Steelers in 95). Each has lost in their respective Conference finals, each has gone through a sub-.500 rebuilding phase. Through all of this, the Pirates have maintained a consistent record of futility.

In my lifetime, Stanley Cup championships are exactly as common as winning baseball seasons. Super Bowl championships are nearly as common. Wow.

No comments:

Compared with the totality of knowledge which is continually utilized in the evolution of a dynamic civilization, the difference between the knowledge that the wisest and that which the most ignorant individual can deliberately employ is comparatively insignificant. ~Fredrich Hayek in The Constitution of Liberty