Thursday, July 9, 2009

"How Dysfunction Helps the GOP"

I read this article last week but chose to skip blogging about it - the more I think about, though, the more I enjoy the fundamental idea.

It's stupid to elect Republicans because, well, their incentives are for government to fail. In order to get elected, they want government to not work; therefore, even while in office, they should be expected to purport a certain amount of failure. Then they can point to their own mistakes and say they should be elected because government is evil.

Just when I thought I was getting away from dull libertarianism, I realize it's an infection I may never be able to cure.

No comments:

Compared with the totality of knowledge which is continually utilized in the evolution of a dynamic civilization, the difference between the knowledge that the wisest and that which the most ignorant individual can deliberately employ is comparatively insignificant. ~Fredrich Hayek in The Constitution of Liberty